Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hey I Heard You Were A Wild One... Show Me How You Do. I Wanna Shut Down the Club With You



All of that is made from animal hide/fur
Handwoven basket
I was able to go snowmachine in to Bethel for Camaii.  Camaii (pronounced JUH-MY) is a great gathering of different villages for a celebration of the Yupik culture.  The district I work for spends a bit of money to send out the First Year Teachers to be part of the neat experience.  Seeing the first years one last time was great.  Some will be coming back next year for yet another adventure in the Alaskan Bush, but others will unfortunately not.  The latter makes me quite sad, but I know that those people not coming back will have great luck and experience wherever they end up teaching, and I'm glad I was able to be part of their experience here.

Handwoven Basket
Whale or Seal Gut Coat
Traditional Yupik Dancing


My friend Patrick making fun of my seal skin owl.
This is the woman who made my seal skin owl.













At Camaii, There was so much to look at, buy, try, and see that I don't think I could accurately account for everything. I can tell you that I saw beautiful quaspaqs (pronounced kuspuks), hand-weaved baskets, dance fans, and headdresses.  I purchased some dolls, an owl made of seal fur, and earrings to remember the trip by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment