Friday, December 7, 2012

It's Turkey Lurkey Time....

My thanksgiving update is much delayed but was so great it must be done in 2 separate posts!  Here's how things went at school...

Thanksgiving at School
If you read my blog last year you know that Thanksgiving out at the bush is not the same as it is back home.  Here's my list of 5 things that make it different.  Hope you enjoy.

    1.  Teaching your kids about the pilgrims isn't as far fetched as it is out here.  But we put on our big girl pants and taught it anyway.  Maybe next year I'll have them do a reader's theatre complete with pilgrim hats and feathers....
    Back home you probably don't have an entire community coming to your school the day before expecting a feast.  The teachers are given a turkey to thaw and cook the day before.  Doesn't mine look tasty?



     2.  How do you teach thankfulness?!!  I know!  Scour the internet and find an awesome mini writing unit where students pick a person, place, and thing they are thankful for.  Have them write a paragraph for each and then color an awesome turkey doodle.















    3.   How do you teach How-to-Writing?  Have kids disguise a turkey and write a paragraph about those steps.  Post said disguised turkeys on the gym wall during the Thanksgiving feast.




    4.  Remember how much you have to be thankful for.  I am thankful for a classroom full of books, technology, and most importantly kids.  12 kiddos that make me remember why I became a teacher.  I am thankful for my family and friends.  I am thankful for awesome care-packages that make my entire week when I get them.  In the last one I received 2 cute aprons and an outfit for my birthday!  Thanks Ridgway family. ;)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment