Sunday, August 21, 2011

Girl you know you got... you know you do it better.

I apologize for any followers that are upset with my lack in posting recently.  This past Wednesday 8/17/2011 was my first official day of teaching.  That being said, I've been incredibly busy with prepping, teaching, and sleeping.  But, as my Atmau brother says,  "That's to be expected!"

On my very first day my stomach was filled with butterflies of how the day would go... what the students would be like... if I was ready...  The kids came in and we made it through the day.

By the end of the day, I went for a walk to the general store and was greeted by the very students I'd taught.   They treat me as the town friend outside and their teacher inside the school.  It's quite a paradox to be honest. 

It's not really surprising that these students struggle with working with one another or have behavior problems, because constantly there are new teachers that cycle through the school.  That makes for students having a lack of trust in school and each other.  I hope that I'm not going to be one of those teachers that will let them down.

Thursday and Friday, I took the advice from some more experienced teachers.  They gave ideas which I've been trying to mold together to help with classroom management.  On the bright-side I feel like things are shaping up a bit more than before.  Also the students seem to need REALLY structured interactions, rather than working in partners or groups.  That is a goal of mine, that by the end of the year these students will be able to get along and work cooperatively.

Finally, I've got to say that I'm really lucky to be on the staff here.  Everyone is positive and keeps each other motivated.  I've been blessed with neighboring with my friend Miss Cindy.  She's like a friend, mentor, and mom.  For example, on my first day she came by the classroom to take a picture of me outside my room.  :D  Couldn't have asked for a nicer gesture.  Besides having a mother here, I've come to feel as though I have a brother/friend too.  Eli, the other brand new teacher, and I have been pretty much inseparable these past few days.  It's been great to have someone who knows the nerves, stress, and unknown that comes with your first year of teaching.  Planning, prepping, and eating have pretty much been how we spend our time.  And yes there has been a bit of lamenting and complaining... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment